There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.Jane Austen
While I know that getting “outside of my comfort zone” is a fine way to challenge myself into trying something new, so much of this past year I’ve spent finding and curating my “comfort zone” through making our house into a space that I’m eager to come home to every evening (and hate to leave every morning). It’s certainly no coincidence that my most-used hashtag on social media is #theresnoplacelikehome, because it’s really true for me, at this stage of my life.
A few things that have made our home even more cosy and hard-to-resist:
- Music playing, usually our favorite radio station, KJaZZ, but also a good amount of vinyl or European pop music as well.
- Kitties who race to the door to meet me whenever I cross the hearth.
- Two fireplaces that we use every night in winter–it is so hard to top the coziness of a glowing hearth on a winter night.
- My office, for “getting things done.” This space helps me to be perfectly productive because it has everything I need (and want) at hand and I am rarely interrupted when I’m working there.
- Houseplants that make my heart sing, each one carefully selected for shape/color/texture. I not only talk to my plants all of the time, but I also give them a weekly leaf massage.
- The cosiest-imaginable bed, with the plushest flannel winter sheets (I first experienced these sheets in an AirBnb and had to go right out and get my own set). We also recently upgraded to a Casper mattress and pillows, which are pure comfort and make my back and neck so happy.
What is on your happy-comfort zone list?